Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture, Department of Design invites applications for
Designer in Residence or Postdoctoral Researcher in Colour and Material Design
The position is fixed-term and will be filled for two years. The starting date is preferably as soon as possible but is negotiable.
Colour and Material Design mastery is one of the most important design skills of the 21st century. It leads creative direction and business strategy, drives new forms and better functionality and impacts sustainability. The senso-aesthetic properties of colour and materials build strong emotional connections between products, environments, brands and people. In May 2015 Aalto University held its first annual Designing Soul Event. The event will function as a global platform for sharing the newest research, artistic projects and innovations in colour and material design.
The Department of Design is looking for a designer in residence/postdoctoral researcher whose design practise, research and teaching interests address strategic and artistic colour and material design.
The artistic practise and research field of the designer/researcher encompasses ambitious and experimental colour and material design projects and quality research on colour and material innovations, design practises and strategies through multidisciplinary collaboration with scientists and engineers in Aalto University as well as domestic and international designers, companies and institutions.
In addition the designer in residence/ postdoctoral researcher will participate in teaching. In the next academic year of 2015/16 four colour and material design related courses will be offered for master students across the School of Arts, Design and Architecture.
A successful candidate should be/have:
- Doctoral degree or MA degree and at least 5 years of work experience in a relevant field
- Excellent knowledge of materials and processes
- Mastery of colour theory and design
- Knowledgeable of consumer and market dynamics and trends
- Competence in key design programs and tools
- Strong verbal and visual communication and presentation skills
- Comfortable working with multidisciplinary teams and ability to collaborate
- Ability to form relationships and build networks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Self-directed and highly motivated with a hands-on energetic approach
The evaluation is based on the total assessment of a candidate in each main dimension: research, artistic/professional work, teaching, activity in scientific and professional community and academic leadership.
How to apply
The applications for the postdoctoral researcher/designer in residence position are to be submitted through Aalto University´s eRecruitment system http://www.aalto.fi/en/about/careers/jobs/view/557/ no later than on August 31st, 2015.
The application for the position should contain (in pdf format):
- Cover letter
- Portfolio, including max. five art works, designs or productions, published articles (in a single file, size limited to 100 MB)
- List of publications
- One page summary of each of the following: artistic and/or professional achievements; research achievements; teaching merits; and academic and/or professional leadership and contribution to research and/or professional communities
- Two page plan for the designer in residence / postdoctoral researcher period
All material should be submitted in English. The application materials will not be returned.
The salary is determined based on experience and qualifications in accordance with the salary system of Aalto University. For the postdoctoral researcher/designer in residence, the expected starting salary is around 3500 €/month but applicants may also provide salary requirements.
Concerning the job description and requirements, Associate Professor Jaana Beidler, tel. +358 40 146 7359, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Concerning the application process, HR Coordinator Jussi Hartikainen, tel. +358 50 575 3888, email email@example.com
Aalto University reserves the right to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
Download full PDF announcement: 010715_PostDoc-DesignerInResidence_Beidler_FINAL—–